Friday, July 3, 2015

America The Beautiful: Favorite Patriotic Songs

Happy Fourth of July to America, what a wonderful country to be living in. Every Fourth of July all Americans have a tradition, whether it be a bbq with friends and family, going on a trip, or setting up a chair and watching the fireworks.   Also, two days before the Fourth we always go to the Hollywood Bowl for the Fourth of July Spectacular.  If you have never been to the Hollywood Bowl on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th to celebrate America's independence  - do yourself a favor - it's wonderful!  There are so many fun activities around the Fourth of July, however one of my favorite things are the songs. I love the America (hoorah) anthems. So, as a very patriotic person, I am going to countdown seven patriotic songs, in celebration of the Fourth of July. RED, WHITE, AND BLUE BABY!

1. The Stars and Stripes Forever (song)
 (Written by-John Philip Sousa)


*My favorite lyrics are:

The red and white and starry blue
Is freedom’s shield and hope.

The reason why I love this song so much, is that this is the finale at the Hollywood Bowl while the fireworks explode the Philharmonic plays "Stars and Stripes Forever." People in the crowd are on there feet waving flags, and it gives such a feeling of patriotism and brotherhood.

2. God Bless America (song)
(Written by-Irving Berlin)


*My favorite Lyrics are:

God bless America,
My home, sweet home.

This song was published in 1918 and Berlin revised it again in 1938.  It is in the form of a prayer, and is often used in public settings -sporting events. Kate Smith had an enormous hit with this song.  I like this song because it makes me feel like a nation connected and unified.   

3. The Star-Spangled Banner (song)
(Written by-Francis Scott Key)



*My favorite Lyrics are:

Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.



I like this song because it is one of those anthems that we sing a lot and is well known. Francis Scott Key wrote this song after witnessing the bombing of Fort McHenry by British ships in Baltimore Harbor in the war of 1812. It was written as a poem however we now sing it!   We can all come together as Americans and sing a song that no matter who you are or where you come from, we all know this song!
It is a story of the bravery of Americans who fought the battle of Fort McHenry and refused to let the fort and their flag fall to the British.   Francis Scott Key was being held on a British ship while trying to negotiate the release of a prisoner of war.  You see he’d overheard the plans for the attack and could not be released.  He was powerless to do anything but observe and when he was rowed ashore after the battle he was moved to pen these words


Oh, say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, thru the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?


4. America the Beautiful (song)
(Written by-Katherine Lee Bates)



*My favorite Lyrics are:

America! America! God shed His grace on thee,

This song always makes my eyes water because the words are so majestic.  It really paints a picture of America that is although quoting the song simply "beautiful." The lyrics were done by a woman who was a teacher at Wesley and was taking a cross country trip to Colorado to teach. Several sights on her trip inspired her to write this song!

5.  Yankee Doodle (song)
(Written by-Dr. Richard Schuckberg)



*My favorite Lyrics are:

It makes a noise like father’s gun,
Only a nation louder.

I like this song, however not as much as Connecticut because this is their state's anthem.  I like how fun the song is an how upbeat it is.  My aunt Pat would always take the tune and put different words in it for every occasion (i.e. An anniversary, birthday, birth, engagement ect..) 

6. This Land is My Land (song)



*My favorite Lyrics are: 

This land was made for you and me


This song was published in 1945 by Woody Guthrie and is known as a famous folk song. There are a couple of variations to this song, and in 2002 is was chosen by the Library of Congress to be added to the National Recording Registry.  The reason why I like this song is because it is really about everyone, we need to take ownership, and own this country together. 


7. God Bless the U.S.A (song)



*My favorite Lyrics are:

And I proud to be an American, Where at least I know I'm Free! And I won't forget the men who died and gave that right to me and I gladly stand up next to you! 

Originally released in 1984, it became a big hit during the Gulf War in 1990/1991 and then got bigger after 9/11.  It's a more modern song celebrating our Country and we don't have many of patriotic songs being written at the present time. It is heard every Fourth of July.  


Put your politics aside to the 5th - put some hot dogs on the grill, grab anything red, white, and blue, and sing some of these songs!  It'll be a fun time, and great way to celebrate America! See you around, and Sing loud for all to hear! I will leave you with a quote....Happy Fourth of July!!(America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand.)